RECLAMATION AND RECOVERY FACT SHEET
Dr. Stephens provides neuropsychological services (primarily assessments), clinical psychological services (assessment and psychotherapy), and Reclamation and Recovery, which is independent of his neuropsychological and clinical psychology practice. You can choose if you would like to receive traditional neuropsychological and clinical psychology services, Reclamation and Recovery, or both. This fact sheet is devoted to explaining Reclamation and Recovery.
Reclamation and Recovery
These services are based on Dr. Stephens’s research and work on brain function on a macro level and are designed to achieve recovery of systemic functions (brain functions and body functions). Traditional psychology and all other clinical services (medicine, neurology, occupational therapy, speech therapy, physical therapy, vision therapy, etc.) are based on a micro level of function and are designed to improve cellular, chemical, neurochemical, muscular, and other functions.
The work Dr. Stephens has done with hundreds of people indicates that the primary problem in human functioning (brain regulation, body regulation, emotional regulation, cognitive regulation, behavioral regulation, neurochemical regulation, and spiritual regulation) is a lack of fuel to the brain due to injuries and traumas ranging from very minor and unrecognized ones to major ones that have devastated the person’s life. Glucose is the fuel for the brain. When the brain does not receive sufficient fuel (or glucose) as you can read about on the other papers on this website, none of those regulatory mechanisms mentioned above function as they should. The result is a variety of physical problems and illnesses such as headaches, ear-ringing, light and sound sensitivity, autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and others, endocrine disorders such as diabetes and others, etc.; cognitive problems such as memory and attention difficulties; developmental problems such as autism; emotional regulation problems such as anger, anxiety, and depression; and behavioral control problems such as addictions, criminal behavior, relational aggression and violence, and a number of other difficulties.
Reclamation and Recovery Outcome Data for Physical Illnesses and Medical Conditions:
Reclamation and Recovery has resulted in the following outcomes:
- Headache and Migraine Recovery: As of July, 2020, 247 people had completed Restoration and Recovery (although it was not called that at the time). 90+% of these 247 people came to treatment with headaches or migraines being one of the issues with which they were struggling. All of them had their headaches and/or migraines dramatically reduced or eliminated.
- Fibromyalgia Recovery: As of July, 2020, approximately 10% of the 247 people who had completed Restoration and Recovery came to treatment with fibromyalgia being one of the issues with which they struggled. All of them had the fibromyalgia symptoms significantly reduced or eliminated.
- Diabetes Recovery: As of July, 2020, approximately 35% of the 247 people who had completed Restoration and Recovery had "pre-diabetes," Type II diabetes, or Type I diabetes. All of them who measured their blood sugars experienced reduced blood sugar levels as a result of the Restoration and Recovery process, and many were able to reduce or stop using insulin per their doctor's instructions.
- Tinnitus (Ear Ringing) Recovery: As of July, 2020, 90+% of the 247 people who had completed Restoration and Recovery experienced some level of tinnitus or ear-ringing. In 6 cases the person did not have the tinnitus eliminated, but the tinnitus was significantly reduced; in every other case the tinnitus was eliminated.
- There are numerous other individual medical conditions that have been improved or eliminated as a result of participating in Reclamation and Recovery. The ones listed are the most common to be addressed in the Reclamation and Recovery process. Because the brain controls the body, brain rehabilitation results in improved functioning in bodily systems.
Traditional Psychology Outcome Data vs. Reclamation and Recovery Outcome Data:
Traditional clinical psychology services typically result in a recovery rate ranging from approximately 30% to 60% (with specific outcomes being both lower and higher depending on the specific issue for which somebody comes to therapy). It is not uncommon for people to require multiple treatment episodes throughout their life, and the goal of much of traditional counseling, psychotherapy, and psychology is to better manage the disorder with which you have been diagnosed. It is quite common for people who are participating in traditional psychological services to also receive a recommendation that they take psychotropic medications (meaning antidepressants, anti-anxiety medication, medication for bipolar disorder, medicine for ADHD, medicine for schizophrenia, etc.).
The research that has been done on traditional counseling and psychological services overwhelmingly concludes that the “curative agent” is the therapeutic relationship (in technical terms, the research states that 60% or more of the positive effect of counseling is due to the therapeutic relationship, not the specific therapy or technique used by the mental health professional).
My research and understanding of brain functioning indicates that the “curative agent” in traditional psychology is the stress reduction that occurs due to the supportive nature of the therapeutic relationship and being listened to and understood. Stress reduction results in the brain “burning” or consuming less glucose, meaning there is more glucose available to the brain, and therefore a reduction in symptoms.
Traditional counseling or psychotherapy is effective for the reasons described above, but its effectiveness is limited in both scope and duration. That is why people often need multiple treatment episodes and do not fully recover.
The data on Reclamation and Recovery is more specific and detailed, because it is outcome data on the hundreds (approaching 1,000+) people with whom Dr. Stephens has utilized this approach. An overview of this data is as follows (all data is as of July, 2020):
- 247 people completed Reclamation and Recovery (it was called glucose treatment at the time)
- Of these 247, all 247 had achieved complete recovery as indicated by the following:
- 1. Pre-post neuropsychological assessment indicated full cognitive function and recovery
- 2. Elimination of all symptoms that brought them to Dr. Stephens
- 3. Elimination of symptoms beyond what brought them to Dr. Stephens
- 326 people were actively engaged in Reclamation and Recovery (called glucose treatment at the time) and were experiencing reduction of symptoms and progressive recovery
- 95% of people who completed at least 5 sessions finished treatment and all of those who finished treatment experienced recovery as defined above
- As of July, 2020, approximately 300 people had either scheduled an initial appointment that they never kept, or attended 1 or 2 sessions and discontinued treatment for a variety of reasons (moved, found a different provider, and most commonly had concerns about the glucose element of the treatment)
Reclamation and Recovery Process:
The following is a brief overview and summary of the process:
- Neuropsychological assessment
- Taking glucose in varying amounts for approximately 6 months
- Meeting with Dr. Stephens to address systemic functions deriving from brain dysfunction due to low fueling. System functioning across all domains (physical, mental, emotional, cognitive, neurological, behavioral, and spiritual) improves as the brain is progressively fueled, because as Dr. Stephens often says, “the brain controls the body and all elements of human functioning)
- People typically meet with Dr. Stephens 10-15 times (although it can be much more than that depending on the number and severity of injuries and traumas; to date consistent treatment has not lasted more than 18 months, and that was for 2 very complicated situations that entailed severe traumatic brain injuries and severe psychological trauma. You can expect that in most cases Reclamation and Recovery requires 10-15 meetings over a period of approximately 6 months, with full recovery being the outcome at the end of that time).
- At the conclusion of Reclamation and Recovery, taking glucose is required situationally to eliminate symptoms in the moment
Reclamation and Recovery Philosophical Components
Reclamation and Recovery is based on the philosophy that humans are created by God and are created in His image, which results in their nobility, immeasurable value and worth regardless of their behavior, and characteristics and abilities that have resulted in the amazing technological, humanitarian, and other positive achievements of today and all previous generations.
Reclamation and Recovery is based on the philosophy that when your brain and all human systems are reclaimed and recovered you can and will function at the level and in the way humans were designed to function.
You do not have to believe in God, mention the words “God” or “spiritual”, or in any way address God or spirituality during the process of Reclamation and Recovery. There is no proselytizing, preaching, or spiritual manipulation of any kind in this process. You are welcome to talk about God and discuss spiritual beliefs, and these are foundational components of Reclamation and Recovery, but it is not necessary to do so for you to participate in or complete the Reclamation and Recovery process.
Reclamation and Recovery Financial Details
Reclamation and Recovery is not currently covered by or reimbursed by any insurance carriers (including Medicaid).
The cost is $110 per meeting. As noted above, in most cases you will meet with Dr. Stephens 10-15 times, meaning a total cost of approximately $1100 to $1650.
You can participate in traditional clinical psychology treatment and Reclamation and Recovery simultaneously (but in separate meetings), and the clinical psychology part of your treatment may be covered and reimbursed by insurance.